Saturday, August 15, 2009

MacNotes at Fenway - 1 (The Arrival)

Hello there Beedle Peedles!

I've been pretty busy lately, but I wanted to report on the great Paul McCartney concert at Fenway Park I attended last week. I don't have time to write a long review anytime soon, so I thought I'd just post little stories here and there whenever I had a few minutes to spare.

McCartney played two concerts in Boston - last Wednesday and Thursday. I went to the first one, on the night of August 5th. I was debating whether to even go to such a huge venue and pay an exorbitant price. I knew I wasn't going to pay for seats on the field, but if I could find good seats fairly close in the stands, and pay in the $100 range, I would go for it. Luckily, thanks to The Beatles Examiner, I got a heads-up on the pre-sale. The tickets went on sale through Live Nation, not Ticketmaster, so I needed to learn their set up in a hurry. I ended up choosing a location in the right field bleachers, under the "roof", so that if it rained, we wouldn't get soaked. There was a lot of quick guess work involved, but I figured, what the hell, don't get stressed out, it will probably be OK. This is supposed to be fun, after all.

Luckily, we had a leisurely day, so my girlfriend and I took the "T" (Boston's subway system) into Harvard Square, and went the Charlie's, known for their legendary double-cheeseburger special. Then back on the "T" to the green line, and into Kenmore Square. When we arrived, we heard the last notes of MGMT, which was fine as it didn't seem to be the type of music that would go over too well in a ballpark. As we turned the corner to enter Fenway, there was a young guy selling McCartney concert programs. He seemed like a bit of a wise ass, probably more of Sox fan than a McCartney fan. He mockingly tried to convince you to buy the program buy yelling, "Buy your Paul McCartney concert program ! Put it next to all your other great books, like Silence Of The Lambs, and Catcher In The Rye!"

Catcher In The Rye ? CATCHER IN THE RYE !?!? Obviously the guy was not a Beatles fan, or he would NOT have used that book as an example. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just Google "Lennon murder catcher rye".

We get to the entrance, expecting extremely high security. Usually there are metal detectors at all recent McCartney shows, as well as most Fenway shows. But luckily, things were relatively low-key, so we were permitted entry without much fuss. So we decided to look at the T-shirts and other goodies, to see if there was anything worth buying.

. . . to be continued . . .

No comments: